Tuesday 16 September 2008

My first Blog

As you can see this blog is still in the very early stages, and it will be obvious that I'm just finding my feet. The reason for starting this blog is a bubbling frustration at the current election run-up in the states. How can so many people be so fickle and choose someone for possibly the most important position on the planet based on appearance and political sideswipes alone? Do American voters actually look at policy? Or if I went and got myself some designer glasses, and declared myself a 'hockey mom' would I also be in the running? That is how it seems from this side of the pond!
At the moment I have strong views on who I believe should be the next president of the United States. Over the course of the next few months however, I will be introducing facts from my own research which I hope will give a balanced view. I will also try to assess the successes/failures of the election winner as it appears from here in the UK and try to work out how the decisions made by the then President on foreign and domestic policy, affect us over here.
I'm in no way trying to suggest that American voters should be considering the opinion of people in other countries when casting their vote as that would be silly. When I vote here in my country, it is based solely on what I believe to be right. I do however believe that some of the decisions made by the American government can affect people in other parts of the world as much as it affects people in the States so our opinions might be worth taking into account.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You must remember that the American voter elected both Nixon and Dubya.
Twice.
Why should you think us so sophisticated that a flag waving old fart and Klondike Barbie wouldn't find it easy to con us?

Paulo said...

Richard, I couldn't have put it better myself. Its frustrating that the free thinkers cannot be heard over the not so free thinking people.